Monday, April 21, 2008

Why I Love Being a Teacher

So, one of the classes I teach is Creative Writing. It's a great class because it's full of Seniors and students who like, and more importantly want, to write. We've had a blast so far this quarter messing around with children's stories, screen-plays, fables, proverbs and short stories. Anyhow, since the seniors graduate in less than three weeks and I'm dealing with MAJOR senioritis, we're taking it easy with some poetry. They're creating a poetry portfolio and one of the simple poems assigned is the limerick, which is a light, humorous poem with the rhyme scheme aabba. An example of one that most are familiar with is "Hickory Dickory Dock". Anyhow, as I was grading them earlier today, I came across this one:

There once was a man named Brent.
Who layed his lady to the landlord for rent.
Years passed; she got older.
So the landlord grew colder.
And now they live out in a tent.

Ok, I laughed out loud at this one. It's so great when you have a student who is quick and witty in his writing. And maybe you just have to know the kid. He's a tough football jock who refuses to allow me to put his name on any of the pieces he writes. They all must be anonymous. He just doesn't want the word getting out that he's a fabulous writer. I promised that his secret would be safe with me. :0)

6 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

There was a teacher named Irene
Of english she's the queen.
In Things in a Box,
She's sly as a fox,
Though her answers can be obscene.

Just kidding!

Kira said...

very funny ... I tried to think of one, but to no avail. Too bad I'm not witty

Kira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kira said...

There once was a man named Walmir
Of him there is one thing that I fear
It's not from his smarts
Or that he never farts
But sometimes I think he is queer.

Just kidding!
But seriously

Jlowryjr said...

HI-larious

Irene Da Costa said...

You guys are hysterical! I love Joe's and I'll have to make sure Wally reads yours Justino. I give you both an A+!!! :0)