Sunday, October 24, 2010

When He's Quiet For More Than A Few Minutes...

This is usually what I find...
And it brings a smile to my face. Not because he "takes after mommy," but because I'm happy for him. I know what literature can do and I know that if he continues loving books, his life will be so enriched. One of my favorite quotes by Barrow says the following: "He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert, and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes." And I really believe that. Over the years, I've had some of my most memorable experiences buried within paper and ink. I've learned life lessons, traveled to far away places, seen the broken rise and survive, felt the joy of overcoming obstacles, been in love, felt my pulse race in the midst of a thriller, and I've had my imagination stretched beyond what I ever thought possible. I feel like I have a better understanding of life because I've read about others, and through that, I've learned humility and appreciation, gained strength and knowledge. And if Christian experiences even just a small part of that, I will be so glad for him.

If he learns to love literature now, imagine where he can go, who he can meet, and what he can learn. Especially when he tuns the delicate pages of the holy scriptures. His love of the written word will allow him to "see" the stories unfold in his mind. He will gain strength from Nephi, Captain Moroni, and Alma the Younger and he will learn the principles and lessons taught there with the comfort of the Holy Spirit. And as Barrow said, he will never want for a friend, a counselor, a companion, or a comforter. He will gain all that and more from the scriptures.

And so I hope he continues to take time to turn the pages of his favorite books, and then to read, and read often. I hope that literature takes him to places he could never go to otherwise, and I hope that in the midst of all the reading, he grows to love good literature and the scriptures, especially The Book of Mormon, as much as I have...

1 comments:

Linz said...

What a sweet post, Irene!