Thursday, April 16, 2009

So...I think I Might Be a Little Crazy

Ok, so yesterday I did something. Something a little crazy and something that I'm totally looking forward to. I think...

I signed up for a sprint triathlon. Now, I realize that that may not sound like such a big deal to you, but here's the kicker: I'm only giving myself about 6 weeks to train for it...after having this baby. See, last year I really wanted to do one, but by the time I worked up the nerve and found one that I thought was first-timer friendly and wouldn't result in my being moshed and trampled by perfectly elite bodies, I found out I was preggers. So, I put it on the back burner. And I figured it would stay there at least for a while since the season only lasts through October and I just didn't think it would be possible for me to get one in this year either - trying to come back from delivering and all.

Well, Sandra (Wally's sister) told me about an inaugural (women's only) tri that's in Disney on September 6th of this year. She knows the lady sponsoring it, said she was doing it and suggested that I do it with her. Hmmmm....My first reaction was "No Way!" I wouldn't have time to train. I mean, maybe I'd get through it, but that's just not good enough for me. (I'm super competitive. And not necessarily with other people, but with myself) Anyway, she gave me the info and I've been thinking about it for a while... trying to get opinions from others about whether or not they thought I could do it. Eventually, with Wally's support (he thinks I'll rock it; I'm not so sure, but I love that he thinks so) and because it's a challenge mentally and physically, I did it. I signed up yesterday. So now, there's no going back.


Ok, so here's the deal. Worst case scenario, I have to have a C-section and can't do anything until the first week in July. That gives me about 4 weeks to try and get back into some kind of shape before I give myself a meager 6 weeks to train for the actual tri, when usually people take like 12. Now that I'm writing this and thinking it through again, I'm starting to freak. Ok, so bad things that could happen: I'll cramp up when swimming, get kicked in the face and gut by other swimmers and drown or I won't be able to keep up during the biking and just fall over or run into someone else, fly over the handlebars and break a leg or I'll just die in the middle of the run from working my body too hard and not being prepared physically enough to get it done. And the worst thing that could happen? I'll come in last! I know, I know. I need to sort out my priorities. Kind of feel a little like Hermione at the moment, who was more afraid of getting expelled from Hogwarts than dying at the hands of a three-headed dog. Or I guess I should say paws? or teeth? Anyway, that would just be the worst - coming in last. I'd be mad at myself for weeks...

But, at the same time, there's a part of me that believes that I can totally do it, that I can rock it and that I won't come in last or even close to it. Now, I obviously won't be anywhere near the top, nor will I look like some of those crazy-ripped women (kind of embarrassed to have to wear one of those tri outfits. For those of you who don't know, I don't do spandex!) but at least I can set my goal for somewhere in the middle of the pack, right? Yeah...I think I can. This is one of those times when I really wish Jillian (from Biggest Loser, for those of you who don't know) was my friend. She could get me into awesome shape, I'm sure. And maybe get me a pair of her arms? As a side note: if you don't watch the show, you should. It is AWESOME!

So, there you have it. I signed up and that's that. Send me prayers or encouragement...or medication if you think I'm a little crazy; cause right now, I'm thinking I just might be! :0)

~ I also signed up for the Disney half marathon in January. This I'm actually not scared of. It'll be my third marathon and I'm just looking forward to beating my last time and running without a 25 lb. bowling ball inside my belly. Come to think of it, I can't even remember what that feels like!

~ On another note, I've only got 5 1/2 weeks left! Craziness!

Wish me luck! On both accounts! :0)

7 comments:

LINDSAY said...

i think it's awesome and you will totally ROCK! good luck!

Anonymous said...

Dude, your so cool! I think that is so awesome and you are totally going to rock it! Good luck with the training and I cant believe youve only got 5 weeks left before your little guy arrives! Seriously, im in awe :)

Attitude of Gratitude said...

Irene, seriously not even worried about it--you can do this girl. We talked about the whole work out while you're prego thing--I was back to working out 4 days after delivering and by 2 weeks after I was back in the full swing. I'm sure you're in even better shape than me so go for it!!

Lacy said...

You went for it! How very Irene of you! I think you will do great- and what wonderful motivation you will have to get that body moving after the delivery of your first child. Yeah!

Kira said...

how exciting Irene!!! I wish I could be there with you!

Linz said...

Yeah, Irene!! You are going to be the most hard-core, hot new mom EVER! Way to go!! You are an inspiration. Oh, and I totally just tied the votes at 7 and 7 for the names...:)

Lisa said...

Irene, you will be awesome!!!