Well, I had originally planned for my next post to be about my baby showers and about the wonderful people in my life who've shown so much love. But, alas, life wouldn't have it that way. Actually... the little one in my stomach wouldn't. As many of you know, our lil' man arrived 3 weeks and 2 days earlier than expected and what a roller coaster it has been so far! This past week has been exhausting, exhilarating, unforgettable and absolutely beautiful. Over the next couple of posts, I'll detail the events, but for now, I wanted to introduce our newest member.
But before I do, I did want to say something.
Back when my lil' guy was first diagnosed with cleft lip and palate, I was worried. And not just about the surgeries and the challenges, but about how others would react to him, how they would see him. Up to that point I had visualized all the beautiful photographs I would take of him and at the time of his diagnosis, I became afraid. I knew I would love him and of course take pictures of him, but should I post them? Would others want to see him? That feeling a mother has where her heart feels like it's being squeezed tight because of the protection and worry she feels for her baby was, at times, overwhelming. However, as time moved on and as my own love for him swelled with the tightness and growth of my belly, I realized that it didn't matter to me what others thought. And it wouldn't matter because I loved him and that was all that truly mattered.
As I've spent hours looking over him and cuddling with him, I find that I don't even notice the deformity. I see it, but I don't see it. Over this past week, I have learned much, and it's amazing to me how circumstances such as these teach the most delicate things. Just being with my lil' man for this short amount of time has taught me more about the nature of unconditional love. How, regardless of our shortcoming, mistakes or limitations, be they of a physical nature or a spiritual one; be they our fault or not...love can envelop them, conquer them, and ultimately erase them.
As my heart has grown and as I've clicked the button on my camera, I find myself knowing that each picture I take of him will be beautiful. And they will be beautiful simply because he is beautiful. And he is beautiful simply because he is so lovingly mine.
So... here he is. Exactly as he was sent to us. Exactly as he was delivered. Exactly as our Heavenly Father made him.
Christian Walmir Da Costa
Born May 2; 7:58 p.m.
6 pounds 0 ounces


I only had time to edit the first two. But I had to post these next two just for the hair.

26 comments:
Irene!!! Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you both! He is beautiful, so precious! He is perfect in his own way! Plus I absolutely love the hair!! I am also partial to the name Christian :), it suits him perfectly! I hope your doing well, if you need anything please let me know! Love you!!
Your words were so sweet and touching, Irene, and the pictures are beautiful! He is such an adorable baby, and you and Walmir are awesome parents already!! I admire you so much: your grace, your patience, your strength. It was great to see you at school today. I miss my daily doses of Irene...:)
Congrats Irene!!! He is beautiful!!!!! I bet you cannot stop kissing him and his sweet little self!! I LOVE the hair! What a wonderful time for you all!
Beautiful, Irene! He is so beautiful! I loved what you wrote. It was pure poetry. How wonderful that your first child inspired you to write the most eloquent words you have ever written- at least in my opinion- and at least on this blog. Love you guys!
Irene, what an absolutely beautiful post & baby boy! You know everyone would have respected your wishes on whether to post photos or not...but honestly I am so glad you did! He is just precious & so handsome! Christian so suits him! Pablo & I can't wait to meet him! Hopefully we'll get to meet up when we come to Florida this summer. We have gifts too! Please send me your address when you have a chance. Oh & Holy cow with all that hair! Seriously just too cute! Love you all! T&P
PS. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY AlSO!
Wow look at all that hair! Just like his dad!! Walmir and Irene you guys have such a handsome boy!! I'm so happy for you guys!! I will love to see you guys in person when we come to Florida, it has been a while, and now with a new member of your family how exciting!! I love you guys... big congratulations to you two!! By the way this is Pablito.
Isn't it wonderful to be a mom?? Happy first mothers day!!! I am so in love with Christian already ... I can't wait to meet him!
p.s. WOW the HAIR!!!!!
Irene,
He is so beautiful! Look at those eyes! Your words were so touching. Congratulations on beginning the best job you'll ever have. :)
He's adorable Irene! I'm so glad you posted pictures. We love you guys and Christian and see nothing but a beautiful boy (that I kind of want as my own)!:)
Christian is the sweetest baby! Thank you for letting us meet him and swoon over his jet black hair. I felt so much love from the both of you as soon as I saw him. Like I have said before, he is so blessed to have you two as parents just as you are blessed to be able to raise him. BTW, I love the blue walls in his nursery.
Congratulations! I too was touched by your post and was happy to see pictures! He is so precious! He's going to be quite the ladies man with all of the hair and those big dark eyes! We can't wait to meet him!
Congratulations--He's finally here!! And can you believe all of that thick, gorgeous hair!! Colton was a baldy the first year--I am jealous. . .hope you are enjoying those sleepless nights gazing at your new little one.
Way to go!!! I don't know what it is about boys, but they have a special spot in my heart. You can tell he is already going to be the life of the party, just like his mommy and daddy. cute, cute, cute, cute.... Keep us updated!
Irene... he is gorgeous. :)
If you ever want to borrow my canon just let me know and I'll bring it on over! Really, call me if you'd like to mess around with it, I know how many picture ideas you've like to try :) 331-6790
wait- or you can email me
atworider@aol.com
I'm so exctied for you!
my senior project entails me staying at home and edit some stuff for a wedding photography (YAY) so I'll be home and more than happy to bring that Canon by.
Congratulations! You are already so amazing with him. And he certainly has your and Walmir's good looks! I can't wait to hear your birth story. I love birth stories!
Irene! Congratulations! Melissa gave me your blog and just in time! What a cutie! He's so tiny and I'm lovin' the hair! We're planning a trip to Gainesville sometime soon, so I hope we can meet Christian(and see you and walmir too!). Take care of yourself and enjoy all of the cuddle time!
love,
Emily and Galen
you are an awesome mother irene :) and christian is SO adorable!!! That hair gets me everytime! haha its so great!
i love you all and i can't wait to come over again
Oh Irene! Congratulations!!!!!!! He is really really beautiful. I cannot BELIEVE all that hair. Please keep the photos coming!
Irene-Like everyone has already said...Congratulations on one beautiful baby. I just want to echo what Lacy has said. Your words were beyond inspiring and eloquent. The emotions that run through a mother's heart, mind, and soul are so overwhelming and tender. I love you both and that beautiful baby boy. I am a sucker for babies with hair, and he has me sucked in right now. You are such deserving parents of a baby as beautiful as Christian.
Beautiful Irene.
Congratulations! I love the name Christian. He is such a cutie.
Hi Irene,
I am working on Christian's photo/scrapbook. I'm heading off to a weekend scrapbook retreat, so I'll have it done when I get back. What a beautiful baby! I love all the hair. My boys were all baldies when they were babies. Little boys are so special to their mamas. I LOVE his name, too. Take care. I hope to see you soon----- Lucinda
Congratulations to you both. You will make wonderful parents. You are both so full of love. He is so beautiful. Look at all that hair! I can't wait to see more pictures.
Post a Comment