Friday, February 22, 2008

A Whirlwind of a Weekend...I Must Be Crazy!

Ok, so I have this horrible habit of planning things and then not realizing until later that they are all at the same time. This weekend was a result of exactly that:

Friday, after work, Walmir and I drove down to Orlando (about 2 hours) for a birthday dinner with Wally's dad. We met at the Cheesecake Factory and ate a delicious dinner along with Walmir's sister Sandra and her husband and of course, his mom. Afterwards we spent the night at Sandra's house. In the morning, we ate a delicious spread of eggs, pan de queso and crepes with fruit and chocolate. And we finished off the breakfast with a delicious chocolate cake! So good!

After breakfast, we drove back home to make it in time for me to make a fruit platter for our friend Natasha's baby shower. It was a ton of fun and she is just adorable. For all you haters of skinny people, Natasha is in her 7th month and is still wearing size 0 pants and extra small tops (non-maternity)! She is super petite and the cutest pregnant lady I've ever seen. She is such a doll and I'm so happy for her and Chris.

From the shower, I went to GOLD (Girls Overnight Leadership Development), a program at our High School set up for 8th grade girls directed by 11th and 12th grade girls that we select. My close friend Lindsey and I ran the program. The night goes from 7 at night to 7 in the morning with absolutely NO SLEEPING! This year we had about 25 8th graders and we filled the night with speakers (talking about drugs, body image/eating disorders and sex/how to handle pressure from boys, etc.), facials, yoga, games, food and discussion. It was an awesome success and the girls had a blast!

Now here is the real crazy part. From GOLD, after absolutely NO Sleep, I ran my second half marathon :The Five Points of Life one held in Gainesville. A few of our friends were going to run it and they all convinced me it would be so cool to run the marathon anyway. Quote from Kira: "Seriously, how many more chances will you get to be young and crazy? It will be such an awesome story to tell later!" I was seriously doubting that at about 3 in the morning Sunday. But now that it's finished, I'm so glad I ran it!
So, yesterday morning, Walmir (this was his first marathon), Justin, Kira, Semra and I began the race at 7 am. Walmir stuck with me the first couple of miles, but I could tell he was itching to see how fast he could complete the race and so I told him to go on ahead. He did AMAZING for his first, finishing the race at 2 hours and 5 minutes! I was so proud of him. He is just so athletic and I'm in awe that he did that well with minimal training. He is just awesome!
As for me I kept running along and realized that I was really enjoying the race and starting to pick up the pace. The race took me all around Gainesville, through downtown and finished up through the University of Florida. And I am happy to say that I beat my first time (Disney) by 12 whole minutes, finishing at 2 hours and 19 minutes! I honestly was shocked I felt that great after no sleep.

Anyhow, after the race, we all took pictures and then raced home to take showers and make it to church in record time. After that, I was pretty much done. We came home and I CRASHED for about 5 hours. Needless to say, I still haven't caught up on my sleep and I can't wait to get home today so I can sleep some more.

All in all it was a whirlwind weekend, but a great one which I'm sure I will remember for quite a long time!

The entire gang who ran the half, with the exception of Evan of course!

Semra, me and Kira.



2 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

All your friends? Geez. What am I, chopped liver?

Amber Smith said...

Irene, you are so awesome. Good Job on running 2 half Marathons. Me Steph, and Elizabeth are training right now for a Marathon. I am so excited the snow has finnaly melted so that I can actually run outside instead of the treadmill.(wish I lived in Florida) Any way its good to hear about what your up to.