Anyway, though I was being cautious, I did think it was possible in the relative near future. But as the holidays came around, as the boys got older, as I dealt with family stresses and my pregnancy, as our budget became tighter, as the birth of our third baby got closer, and as Wally became more and more unavailable, I started to really doubt it would be possible. I mean, I wasn't even taking pictures of my own kids. I found my life being completely dominated by everyone and everything else, and when I found that I had hardly time to shower, I realized that this whole photography thing was not an option. At least not now. And I may have secretly been a little bitter about it. I'll admit that I went through a "what about me?" phase. I felt that my entire life was about supporting Wally, getting him through work and school, the kids, and our home. And though I was happy to do it, I was desperate for some time for me or to feel like I was creating or accomplishing something. And I began to focus on it. I even cried when Wally was called to the high council because I felt like he was being blessed with great work, and here I was having nothing to offer but cleaning house, chasing the boys, and waving my arm around in Relief Society as the chorister. It's hard for me to feel like I'm not contributing. (By the way, I'm thrilled that Wally was called to the high council. I am so blessed to have a husband worthy of such a calling). Anyway, it was especially hard not having time to continue with photography. Even now, since it's been so long, I'm wondering if I've forgotten everything that I've already learned. I began to think that this whole photography thing probably wouldn't happen until Wally was out of school and the kids were in school. Which puts me right around 40. Well, maybe 36, but again, I was a bit negative. :)
Anyway, things began to change over the last month or so. I've had some sweet experiences that have made me realize that everything I thought about myself and my goals are true, but OK. The truth is that it's not my time. Right now is about Wally and the kids. It's not about me, and though it's been hard, I've come to a sort of peace regarding that understanding. I also had to come to peace with the fact that I'm not one of those super mom/wife/business women/etc. that I thought I could be. I mean, there are plenty women out there who have more kids than I do, have husbands who are home even less than mine, and yet still seem to be able to make their businesses flourish or build their own furniture or make their own food blogs, etc. I really thought I could do that. You know, do it all. But I can't. And realizing that was a tough pill to swallow. Anyway, the point it that even though I do still get sad sometimes when I see other photographers working, I've learned to be at peace with taking the back seat. At least for now....
And so, my photography is on hold. I mean, I'll take any opportunity I can to practice and do it. I LOVE it, but a serious business will have to wait until I feel like I really know what I'm doing and for when I have the time to dedicate to it. And that may be a little while. Anyhow, I did want to post a few of the pictures that came from the end of last year. Though they aren't perfect, I am really proud of them. :)


















7 comments:
You have a wonderful talent Irene! Beautiful photos. Love all the updates. The boys are adorable as ever. Congrats to Wally on being called to high council. Pablo (along w/ the gospel) tells me often that the most important work I am doing is within our home...and it's true...just sometimes hard to grasp. Don't fret. You'll have your time sooner than you'll realize. besos.
Irene, it is so funny reading this because that is EXACTLY the conclusion I came to. When I found myself taking less pictures of my own children and filling my days editing pictures of others I realized now was not the time. I was missing THEIR moments and I didn’t want to look back and regret not giving them my full and undivided attention while they were still small and seeking after it. But it feels so awesome to have something to look forward to when the kids have lives of their own and I'm looking for something to fill up my time! :) I see other moms who are seemingly able to do both, but I think SEEMINGLY is the key word there. If you think about it, each of us has 100% of effort we can exert during any given day. If we spend even 25% on photography, that is 25% less for our kids. Basic math, but I think it holds true. I’m excited to see more of your work when you decide to pursue it! :) I think you're awesome.
They're beautiful! You have such a gift for color. Thank you for your words. I've considered you a superwoman for a long time and still do -- even more so now. Not because you are a perfect balancing act, but because you are real and you take into account what is most important even if it means you sacrifice something you love for the time being.
Love it, I'm so glad your back!! How Ive missed your blogs! Your amazing and so talented. I think its about having balance with our lives and sometimes we have to shift a little to make everything work, but that's sometimes the hardest part but in the end its all worth it. Don't worry, your just getting started!
Lovely, lovely pictures, Irene! Seriously love the color. I miss you like crazy, and I am so excited to have you take pictures of our little ones some day! You rock - and to me you are and have always been a Super Mom.
I don't know I think they are perfect pictures! This really was a beautiful and inspiring post!
I think so many of us moms can relate to this blog post. You have such a talent for photography and I look forward to seeing many more great pic's in the future!
Post a Comment