So...don't ever run a marathon when you're sick; It'll destroy you!
Actually, rephrase: Don't ever run a marathon...period!!! Or do. It's definitely an experience... but don't say I didn't warn you.
Before the race even started, I felt weak. By mile 6, I was exhausted. By mile 9, I was crying. At mile 15, my stomach felt like it was trying to eat itself from the inside out. By mile 19, gouging out my eyeballs with my own fingernails seemed like more fun. And I've already mentally blocked miles 20-26.2. Although Wally found me at mile 21 and finished up with me, which completely saved me. When I crossed that finish line, I cried - from pain, exhaustion, relief and bitter disappointment. I never expected much of myself as far as finishing times go, but I at least expected to do better than I did. Which is why I will never reveal how long it actually took me. It's just too embarrassing and a reflection of how much I really sucked and how much pain I was actually in.
And though I can't remember enjoying myself for one second of the run, Miami was beautiful and there was this waiting for me at the end...
... along with both my parents. And I did get a very cool looking medal:
Don't let this smile fool you.... :0)
So, it's over. And those three words bring so much joy to my heart. :0)
And though part of me is curious to know how well I could do when I'm not sick, weak and breathless the entire way, we'll just never know...because I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever run one again! :0)

8 comments:
Irene- the part about Walmir running the last 5 1/2 miles with you brought tears to my eyes. I am glad it is over and that even though it was torture- that you accomplished what you committed to do. If nothing else that is a great legacy to leave behind.
Way to go! that is so awesome you did it when you were feeling so bad. I have been thinking about running a marathon I ran 15 miles the other week and had the same feelings you did who in the right mind wants to run that many miles. I don't enjoy running for that long in so much pain and getting home with glazed eyes staring at the wall for the rest of the day. We will see what I end up doing.
Congrats. You should be very proud. That is more than 8 times than I have ever run.
This was a great post and conveyed the emotion of the event perfectly.
CUTE sign by 2 cute boys!!!
that sucks that you had to run it sick!!
funny that you conveniently covered up your number
Congratulations!!!
Yeah! Gratz on finishing!! Those are some cools medals, and I love the sign Walmir made. Way to go!
I'm very proud of you irene!!!! :) and i'll be home next weekend so hopefully you'll be here so i can see you!
You are amazing! Way to finish. You've now convinced me that marathons are not something I need to do. thanks for saving me the pain.
Dude. I hear you. I FEEL You! Similar experience overo n my blog...but it was an ankle issue. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. EVER EVER EVER. You and I can both never do a marathon again ever....together. Deal?
Post a Comment