Saturday, January 30, 2010

Madness

Ok, so I'm sitting here in my parent's house contemplating this madness that is about to commence in T-13 hours. The weekend I've been dreading for months is here, the event that has haunted my every workout is just a few hours away: the Miami marathon. (I just threw up a little in my mouth). It seems crazy to me...I was just walking around the Expo where literally thousands of people were picking up their packets in preparation for the big race tomorrow thinking, These people are freakin' crazy! Who, in their right mind, wants to run 26.2 miles? Who!?!?!? No one! That's who! Which brought me to the conclusion that we're all a little psycho, a little something going' on up there in the ol' noodle. Perhaps we were all dropped onto our heads as infants or something. I mean, we couldn't possibly be normal. Consider this. Since Christian's been born, I've done two triathlons, a 13K, two-half marathons, and now of course, the full tomorrow (assuming I finish and I haven't died on the side of the road somewhere). I thought, when I was signing up for all this, that I'd look back at all my medals and think, Hey, Irene. You're pretty awesome! But now, I look at them and think. Hey Irene. You're an idiot! All that pain and you don't even look like a runner! :0) So why? I'm telling you, something wrong up in the ol' noodle.


Actually, a few weeks back I considered quitting. I had missed a couple of long runs for traveling and then my mom spent 17 days in the hospital. Christan and I came down to be with her and before I knew it, it had been a month since I'd done a good training run and I was behind on building up my mileage. Walmir and I actually got in a huge fight about it. He was trying to convince me that I could do it and what I really wanted was for him to say the following: You know Irene. It's ok. You're always pushing yourself and things have been hard lately. No one's going to judge you or think less of you if you hang up the towel on this one. But no. I never realized how aggravating a husband who supports and believes in you could really be! :0) So, we decided that over winter break, we'd both run 17 and see how we felt. If I couldn't do it, then Wally would run the marathon...and we'd go from there. So, that's what we did. And actually, the 17 felt pretty awesome. Until I ran 21 the weekend after and the Disney half (in the snow, I might add. Yes, it freakin' snowed in Orlando) the weekend after that. Bottom line, I felt like my body had been run over by a semi, then stuffed into garbage compactor, shredded apart and then put back together again. Never have I felt pain like that! See, you're supposed to build up your mileage slowly, with resting runs in between the long ones. But I didn't have time, so I did what I had to. And now, I've got two hurt knees, a messed up ankle and a doubting ego.

Since then, I haven't done much and to make my outlook on this even better, I've been sick this entire week. Fever, chills, cough, runny nose. The works!!! Isn't my life just dandy?!? Anyway, when I first started training, it was my goal to beat my buddy Justino who ran his in like 4:30 or 4:36? A seriously awesome time. Then I realized that wasn't possible. Then I figured maybe I'd beat Oprah's time. But she ran it even faster!!! Who knew the big O had it in her!!! So, now I'm just thinking if I cross that finish line and I get that pretty medal put around my neck, it'll be a success. :0)

So, here's to my death march. When the rest of you are enjoying whatever it is you'll be doing tomorrow morning, think of me and my pain and feel pity...and joy that you're not me... :0)

Oh, and I'm making my playlist tonight, so if any of you read this by then and have a suggestion, comment, or text. Oh, sympathies and final goodbyes would also be appreciated...:0)

4 comments:

Linz said...

Good luck, girl! I will be thinking about you all morning!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!! You will do amazing! Cant wait to hear how it turns out!

GOOOO IRENE!!!

Alicia said...

You are hilarious to read... you are going to be AWESOME.. shoot you are awesome! Look at all you have accomplished and now you WILL and ARE going to do this and do it great!... We are all cheering you on! GO GIRL! Kick Butt and take names!

Lacy said...

So how was it? Are you still alive? I am amazed.