Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Something I'm Actually Really Proud Of...

This past weekend, I threw a shower for my lovely friend Lacy in celebration of her third little bundle of joy. It was lots of fun and allowed me to try something I had never done before. See, when I was planning the event, I had the idea that I'd make this amazing cake using fondant. Something I've never done before. I did take that one class at Micheal's, but we used butter cream and you don't get to fondant until class 4. Nonetheless, I thought, What the heck?! I figured if it turned out amazing, it would be deserving of such a beautiful friend, and if I totally screwed it up, she would forgive me. :0) So, I surfed the net, watched a few episodes of Cake Boss and tackled it. After 6 hours, bruised hands, crazily scavenging for random objects that could be used as professional tools, and a full covering of powered sugar on my kitchen floor, I finished. And tada! Here it is:


Now, the closer you look, the more mistakes you'll see, so try to look at it a few feet away from your computer screen. :0) The bear was my favorite to make. I molded him totally out of fondant and used a toothpick for the little holes. Anyway, it really was a ton of fun, and now that I have some idea of how it works, I'm all about making more...

10 comments:

Linz said...

Best cake design ever!! Mad props, Irene!! It was beautiful and so tasty!! You are seriously skilled.

Anonymous said...

That is adorable!!! I love the teddybear! Amazing!

Jlowryjr said...

I was VERY impressed. It tasted great and the kids were so excited to eat the teddy bear. We only let them eat part of the legs to keep the sugar consumption down. Extremely cool Irene.

Rossco said...

Seeing as you're all about making more... I sure wish you lived near by! You should start a biz! That's incredible, Irene. Seriously... SOOO cute.

Lillie said...

whoops... that was me, not Ross. I hate when he does that. What's he doing using MY computer anyway? :)

Kira said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!! 6 hours???????? you're crazy!

Amy Tobler said...

You did not do your cake justice when you told me about it on Saturday. It looks great!

Lacy said...

I seriously almost cried when I saw it. Thank you Irene! It really meant a lot to me! I also think that you could sell these...

CJB said...

Beautiful! I even see you steamed the fondant to give it that glossy look- I've watched all episodes of Cake Boss, love that show!
I took a cake decorating class 4 years ago and learned a lot. I've been a little nervous about working with fondant.

A. said...

Just......Wow. Can't wait to see what you make for us in Waterton.........;)Kira and I were talking about your blog on our girl date tonight and I came right on to find you! :)