Monday, August 30, 2010

A Long Overdue Update...

So, I actually checked the date of my last post and realized it was 4 months ago! Yikes! I never intended to go so long, but I guess I've just been way too busy. And I must say, busy we have been this summer. Since May, I turned 29, Christian started walking/running, we've changed career paths as a family, I got a new job and my stomach has continued to grow in preparation for this new addition we're expecting in just 8 short weeks! And since there's no possible way I can catch up completely, I'll just settle for some lengthy bullet points. :0) Please don't feel obligated to read it all! Oh, and the pics are from that photo shoot swap I did with my girl Gretchen a few months back. (I miss you Gretch!) Looking at them now, I can't believe how much lil' man and my belly have changed these last few months! I'll post some more resent pics soon. :)



~ The biggest change has been Wally's decision to go back to school. And not for his MBA as we had originally planned, but instead to dental school. And I must say, I'm really excited for him! It was not easy making the decision (for Wally at least), especially when it required me going back to work and some serious financial challenges. Actually, I had a very strong impression months ago that dental school was the right path for us, but it took Wally some extra time to consider everything that decision would mean for our family. Finally, in June, we decided to really and truly ask our Father in Heaven if dentistry was right for us and if it was, that somehow He would open the doors for us to make such a journey. Wally had a priesthood blessing from his father, we fasted and prayed and attended the temple and while we were there, we received our answer.
And so now we find ourselves at the beginning of a lengthy 6 year (we hope) journey, praying continuously that our faith and prayers will allow Him to open the right doors for us, and give us the strength (and energy) we need to do what is necessary. With the 13 pre-rec classes he has to take before he can even apply, Wally finds himself going straight to school after work, sometimes until 10. On those days he doesn't even see lil' Christian. And one those days, I have to admit, I'm a bit lonely. And the days tend to be a bit long, especially when Daddy doesn't come home early to break up the day and spend time with us. Finances have been a big stress as well. Wally already has his bachelor degree, so no government help with those 13 pre-rec courses. Not until he gets into dental school will we be eligible for those. And so over the summer we prayed and fasted so hard that I would be able to find a full-time job, one that would still allow me to be home with Christian. One, to help out with the bills and two, so that Wally might be able to stop working in the spring and attend school full-time. We were hoping for night classes or some kind of online teaching. But, Heavenly Father did not see it fit for me to find a full-time job. At least not yet. So, it may take longer for Wally to fit those courses in while still working full-time. I did, however, find a small part-time job teaching again, but I'll mention that more in my next bullet. (By the way, I'm sorry if your eyes are already glazing over; feel free to stop now or grab a snack if you intend to read on).
So, here we are, having made it through Summer B and moving full-swing into Fall semester. And though it's been a little tough, we've been really happy as a family and comforted that we're being taken care of - by the Great Man Upstairs, our family and friends.

Right at the beginning of all this, I planned an F.H.E. around 1 Nephi, chapter 16 to help us keep the right attitude. After journeying in the wilderness with his family for quite some time, Nephi broke his bow which was made of very fine steel; and so could not slay any more wild beasts. And his family suffered much for the want of food. And through this trial and suffering, his brethren hardened their hearts against God and began to complain. Even his father Lehi murmured against his God. However, Nephi did not. He fastened another bow out of wood; went to his father and asked him to inquire of the Lord where he should go to find food. And his father repented and humbled himself before the Lord and asked. I love this simple story. Mostly I love Nephi's strength and immovable faith in the midst of his trial. He makes no complaint. He does not murmur and has such a surety that the Lord will care for him. And though I have faith, there are times when I am weak and I complain or allow uncertainty to fill my mind, just like Nephi's brethren and father. And then later, just as they did, I must repent for not trusting in the Lord or bearing my burdens without complaint. What an example Nephi is to me and how I wish I could be more like him. Steadfast in the midst of whatever trials come. So, at the end of the lesson, I printed out this slogan in reference to dealing with life's challenges or struggles, however big or small they may be: "Have you GROWN? Or did you GROAN?" Wally put his copy in his school notebook and I hung mine on the fridge. So that when we're trying to figure out how to pay the bills, or when we find ourselves getting deeper in debt, or when I worry that I won't find a job, or when Christian has been tough and I've been home all day alone, or when Wally is up studying until 2 and 3 in the morning and still has to get to work the next day, we can read the slogan, remember Nephi and not complain. So that 6 years from now, when we look at the sacrifices we made to get Wally through dental school, we won't see anger, worry, or murmuring, we'll see instead happiness, joy and a time where we grew closer and stronger as a family.
~ So, as I mentioned earlier, though I didn't find a full-time job (I'm still looking!), I did get hired at Santa Fe College teaching Writing. It's only one class (Tuesday and Thursday nights), the only one they had available at night, but hey, it's one class, right? Fall semester started last week and I have to admit that I was scared out of my mind! Just the idea of teaching adults is so scary. I'm used to teaching 15-17 year olds. I mean, save a few really intelligent ones, I was always fairly sure I knew more then they did. But now? Since my class is at night, I'd say about 70% of my students are older than me. Many of them are going back to school after 15 years in hopes of changing careers. Nursing seems to be the popular choice. And of course, there are some 18 and 19 year olds sprinkled in as well. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, class started last week and the first thing I notice is that the air conditioning isn't working and the classroom is hot and muggy. Great! Just what a 8 month preggers lady needs in 95 degree weather. And then I find myself getting more and more nervous and flushed as the students file in. Needless to say, though the intro to the class went smoothly, I ended up letting everyone out early because I was sweating so freakin' bad. And I don't mean the kind of sweat that you would categorize as perspiring. Who came up with that anyway? Men sweat and women perspire? Like the word perspire, since it's fancier, means more delicate. Anyway, no perspiring for me. More along the lines of sweating like a raging hairy beast is more like it. It was so embarrassing! I mean....just so embarrassing. At the end of the class, a student came up to ask me a couple of questions about the materials. She's one of those women you can just see as a nurse; a bit chubby, black, tough and absolutely hysterical. She's the comic relief in my class and I absolutely love her! Anyway, she takes one look at me and says, "Daaaaamn girl! You be sweatin'!!!!" I know!!! "I'mma have to bring yous a fan next class!" It was so funny! She didn't bring a fan next class, but she now calls me "Boo" and swears that if I can pass her, I'll have worked miracles. :) Anyway, after she made that comment about my outpouring of sweat, I knew that the metal picture I had of myself soggy and pregnant was exactly what my students' first impression of me was. Awesome.
Anyway, even though the air is back on, the class has been a challenge for me. I'm a literature teacher. Lit is what I love, what I know, what I'm good at creating discussions for, and what I'm good at writing about. This class, on the other hand, is writing based; very mechanical. And so I've had to really go back and, in a way, re-learn all the rules of grammar and writing so that I've got it down well enough to teach it. A definite challenge. But at least it's getting easier.

~ Christian has just been the light of my life. It took him forever to let go of our fingers and start walking on his own. He just wanted to be completely sure he was stable on his feet. Anyway, at 14 months, he finally took of, almost at a run, and hasn't stopped since. And it's been so fun! One of his favorite things to do is walk around outside. And if I let him, he'd stay outside all day, even in the 100 degree weather. He loves the pool, loves his books, loves to play with our dogs, and just loves life. It's so fun watching him explore and discover new things. He really has been such a joy. His smile with his ever deepening dimples just melts my heart. He dances, he sings, he smiles and says hi to everyone we meet, he conducts music when we're in church, throws his hands high above his head when we yell "touchdown", and though he's a touch behind on his speech, he's progressing beautifully. I'm so excited to see him interact with his brother when the time comes.

~ Which, by the way is coming up so quickly. I swear this pregnancy has gone by quicker than my last. And yet, it isn't quite quick enough. I never realized how brutally hot I would be being pregnant in the summer. And I've never been a hot person. I'm always the one bundled up while everyone else is in t-shirts. But now, I'm sweating when others are freezing. And in this crazy summer weather, I have been miserable! Please fall weather, come quickly!!! :)
By the way, in case you didn't know. We're having another boy! And I'm really excited about it. The two will be 17 months apart and I'm just so excited to see two lil' boys close in age running around and roughhousing, even though I'm pretty sure they'll destroy my house! :) Another beautiful thing is the fact that we were able to get a clear shot of his little face at the 20 week ultrasound and his lip and palate are intact and perfect. We were so excited! We almost didn't care about finding out the sex, we just wanted to make sure his face was as it should be. And it is. It's so wonderful because as the time gets close, I can relax and wonder who he'll look like. With Christian we were more concerned with what he'd look like, but now we can just guess and consider who. Oh, and by the way, for all of you out there who swear Christian looks like his daddy, well, we busted out some baby pics of me the other day. Wally takes one look at them and goes, "No way! Christian is totally a South!" (my maiden name). It's true, lil' man looks just like me! Or at least just like I did at the same age. :)
Oh, and I should mention that we have chosen a name. Damon Charles. It's kind of funny actually where the name came from. Wally picked it. And he got it from watching Vampire Diaries with me! (I probably shouldn't mention that. Sorry babe!) Oh, and as a side note ladies, if you haven't watched it, watch it. It's awesome! One of only two instances I can think of where the movie/TV version is better than the book. Anyway, Damon happens to be one of the very handsome Salvatore brothers played by the same actor who played Boone on Lost. Not bad eye candy! And speaking of Lost, I was actually considering the name Desmond. I really like it, but Wally wasn't on board. So, we settled on Damon, which I have grown to really, really like. It's strong and unique. Charles is after my dad and brother. So Damon Charles Da Costa it will be! :) Oh, and I should clarify for Wally's sake that he will not be named after Damon on Vampire Diaries, it just happens to be the place where he first heard the name. :)


~ So that's about it. The rest of the summer was spent with family and friends, and getting Christian settled into his new big boy room. I can't believe we'll be parents of 2 in just a few weeks!

~ Well, my friends, that's a good an update as any and if you're still reading, I'm impressed! You either really love me, or you really love reading or you're excruciatingly bored. Either way, I'm glad you did. I promise to post more frequently in the future. Until then...

5 comments:

Attitude of Gratitude said...

Love the pictures and love the slogan. I am going to remember not to groan so much. Best wishes as you start down this road--the path less taken really does make all the difference. You won't regret it!

Amy S. said...

Hi Irene!
I just love your blog and look so forward to visiting again. I just can't believe you turned 29? How do you think that makes me feel? I remember you walking down the street home from school when you were just little!..Well for that matter I remember when Mom had Little Charles..(yes I will always call him "little Charles") was in the stroller.
Congratulations on another boy!
Hugs to you and can't wait to visit again.
PS..You can see Amy Joys little boy who is now 3 on my blog!
Love you!

Alicia said...

Loved the post! Loved the pictues, wow your family is so amazing and Irene you are so beautiful!! On congrats on the big news of Dental school that is awesome and we sure do wish you the best. You will do amazing a teaching... I can't believe you only have 8 weeks left. Thanks for the update. Love ya -

cwitt said...

I read the whole thing because i love you :) haha and i miss you- i always look to see if you have updated and what a surprise!! plus it was a nice alternative to doing homework ;) I can't believe either that you are going to have TWO kids soon! i'm so excited, i will definitely be coming to visit. love you

Kira said...

what a fabulous update! :-)