Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Family Photo Shoot in Micanopy

Ok, so I finally went out and actually did a session. Like a real photographer. Well, more like a total wannabe photographer. But hey, I got out there. :0) Actually, it was more my friend Gretchen who got me to do it. She's a real photographer and we talk about all things photography pretty often. Anyway, one day we both complained that since we're both behind the camera, there aren't any shots of us in them; needless to say, no shots of the entire family. So, we decided to take pictures of each other's families. Her hubby would watch her kids while she shot us and my hubby would watch Christian while I shot her fam. I totally thought it was a good idea, but was completely nervous about it.
Anyway, last Saturday, we got up around 6, and headed down to Micanopy so we could be there early in the morning when the lighting was still good. It actually was a blast for me. Pretty sure I was sweating the entire time I was behind the camera, but it was just awesome! Once we got back and I uploaded the pics on the computer, I ended up writing down a list of things that I seriously needed practice on. Like focus. And apparently I don't hold the camera straight...which is so weird. Can't tell you how many pics were lopsided. Maybe I'm lopsided, 'cause I swear I was holding the camera straight. Anyway here are just a few of the pics from the session. hee. hee. It sounds kind of funny to use the word session. Like I actually know what I'm doing. :0) Oh, and by the way, blogger tends to cut off the right part of the photo and also tends to wash them out a bit. Either that, or Photoshop is lying.

Anyway, here's the P family - with the cutest twin girls, little Miss H and little Miss K.

These first three are my favorite. There's this awesome old building with the vintage Coca-cola sign that's starting to fade away. It's just so cool. And I'm all about candid shots. I could totally see these three pics framed in a set of three on a wall somewhere.



Didn't lie, did I? Cutest family ever? I think so. :0)





That last one is an example of my focus problems. True that lil' K. is moving, but I could have accounted for that with my settings. So, for next shoot, must account for four sets of eyes and squirmy lil' ones. Oh, and this next one is one is an example of where I apparently can't hold the
camera straight. I tried to fix it in Photoshop, but then had to have the black background poke through; which, oddly enough...I actually kind of like. :0)


These last three were taken in front of this cool blue door down there. I LOVE this next pic. Especially with lil' H. looking. :0)





So, there you go. A few of the best ones. Actually, pretty much all of the best ones. I think I took a total of like 250 pics and there were only about 15 that showed potential. Definitely need a ton more practice, but hey...at least I got my feet wet and had a blast doing it. :0)

6 comments:

Amelia said...

wow, your pictures are amazing! I love the colors, and yes they are the cutest family! I cant wait to see the ones Gretchen took of your family!

Linz said...

Great work, Irene! These are adorable! Anytime you need to practice, I volunteer our family (well, when I'm not pregnant, that is...:))!

Happy said...

Great job Irene! I've been interested to see how your photography is coming along- you're doing great!! I have been pursuing photography too and recently was asked by the YW in my ward to take family pictures for ward members for a fundraiser. I was so nervous that day that I couldn't even eat after church at the pot luck. Well, no families even ended up signing up, so I only shot one elderly couple and one single lady, but it was SO fun! Anyways, you really are very talented- I'm so impressed!

Lucinda said...

Those twin girls are ADORABLE. Can't wait to see pics of your family.

Amber Smith said...

Your pictures are awesome what kind of a camera do you have? I love the colors.

Erin said...

Is there anything you CAN'T do? You're so talented! And you are such a great mommy too. I'm glad I know you!