Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Cake for Katelyn

So I think I've found a new love in my life...decorating cakes! Well, that and photography. :0) Do you think anyone's ever opened up a cake/photography shop? Probably not. But in my daydreams, it totally works. Anyway, I was able to make another cake for my niece Katelyn's tenth birthday. Sandra sent me this pic of the plates she had picked out and I went from there. And I have to admit that I was was soooooooo relieved when I saw them. At first Sandra had mentioned that Katelyn might want a Tinker Bell party, and I was hyperventilating thinking about how in the heck I was going to mold freakin' Tinker Bell out of fondant. Thank goodness she changed her mind! :0) So, here are the plates...


And here's the cake!


So, yeah. It's only cake number 2 for me and there are a ton of mistakes. I'm always afraid that I won't have enough fondant to cover the cake and since you only get one shot, it better be right. Well, if you roll out too much, it's impossible to keep the whole cake smooth without getting creases. And there are HUGE creases on this thing. I just made sure the front of the cake was on the opposite side. Oh, and the number ten totally looks like it's melting, but again, I'm learning...but at least this one only took me 3 hours instead of 6! But a huge part of that was Wally, who helped me put on all the dots. And I have to give him credit for the trim. Totally his idea. :0)
Oh, and I did my first family shoot this weekend down in Micanopy. It was a lot of fun. I'll post some of those pics soon.
Happy hump day. :0)

2 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

Nice work Irene!

Brian Glenn said...

umm oh my goodness Irene! found you on Gretchen's blog... you are so freaking talented!