So, tomorrow's the day. My lil' man goes in for his first surgery. And I'm surprisingly ok. A little nervous, a little worried, but nothing overwhelming.
At least for now.
Tomorrow's surgery is the smaller of the two; repairing of the lip and nose. We're supposed to call later tonight to find out exactly what time we're to bring him in tomorrow morning. The surgery will be anywhere from 1 and half to three hours and he'll be at Shands overnight. Assuming everything goes well and his appetite is up, we'll be able to bring him home Tuesday sometime, after which a long three week recovery will begin. My lil' guy will have to wear braces on his arms to keep him from reaching his face and chewing on things, so...I'll let you know how that goes. Any of you guys have any ideas for how to keep a 5 month old entertained without letting him bend his arms or grab things and put them in his mouth? I'd welcome the suggestions! :0)
Anyway, over this past week, I've spent a lot of time just looking at and cuddling with my little man. It's amazing to me how much a person can love, how unconditional it is. It's funny; most families in my situation cannot wait for surgery number one, the one where the lip will be sealed and the nose balanced. But for me, it kind of makes me a little sad. My lil' guy won't look the same way anymore. He smile won't exactly be the same, the tug on his lips and cheeks a bit different. Basically, this little face, this tiny smile, the one I've smiled back at for months now, the one I've grown to love so much, will disappear forever, with just a hint of it left to be seen. And though I am overwhelmingly grateful for the work that will be done and want nothing more than for my lil' guy to have a perfect lil' face, I will miss the smile that has so melted my heart these past 5 months...
So, here we go. Hoping and praying that all will go well tomorrow. That the surgeon's hand will be steady and precise, that Wally and I will be strong and calm, that my lil' man will recover quickly, and that his new smile will be just as beautiful as his present one.
If you have a spare moment sometime tonight, a little prayer for my lil' man would be lovely.


8 comments:
You, Walmir, and especially Christian are definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well tomorrow!! Big hugs and smiles!!
he'll be in ours prayers for sure. we'll be thinking of the three of you and waiting to hear how it all goes.
Good luck with everything tomorrow- you guys are in our prayers- lots of love from Utah!
I can't believe how big Christian is already! Absolutely adorable. You're in our thoughts & prayers of course! Keep us posted. Oh odd thing... somehow this blog called "Cleft Journey" ended up on my log. Not sure how it got there, but it's another personal story of a family whose second baby has cleft. Thought you'd might like it & maybe could build a friendship if you wanted. Here's the site: http://cleftjourney.blogspot.com/
Irini
We are thinking about you guys today; your little man is going to be OK; he is such a handsome and beautiful baby!! Love,
Your aunt, Yvette
We are praying for you Christian. We love you so much and hope everything goes okay. Good luck Irene with keeping him entertained post surgery for 3 weeks. We will continue to pray for you.
We're joining our prayers with yours. We are anxious to get an update on your beautiful baby. We love you dearly.
Irene, where are you!! Miss you.
Post a Comment