Geez! It is taking me forever to catch up here! Anyhow, continuing on...
Surprisingly, neither Walmir or I freaked out, which I think is pretty dang good considering we were completely unprepared and the delivery was happening over 3 weeks before my due date. Lacy came to see me later that night and afterwards, she said that I seemed to be a bit in shock, which maybe I was...but at the time, I just felt like...ok, this is it and so here we go...
As soon as the decision was made, Wally began calling parents and friends. The doctor came in and checked me to see if, by chance, my body was ready to go into labor; which, of course, it wasn't. Since that was the case and since Christian's heart rate was going down each time I had a contraction, it was decided that I should have a C-section to avoid putting him through any more stress.
As the preparations began, I sent Wally home to get the last few projects that I needed to grade. (Even though I wasn't freaking out about the delivery, I was freaking out about work) and as they were doing the final preparations for the surgery, I finished grading the last one. Crazy, I know.
It was bizarre for me to be rolled on a bed through the halls of the hospital. I've never been a patient before and so the experience was new. They wheeled me into the operating room; cold, sterile, and blindingly bright; sat me up, gave me a spinal block and laid me back down. As I felt my body begin to go numb, alternately my mind began to explode with thoughts. The time was upon me. All the preparation and anticipation of meeting this new little spirit was just a few moments away. I can't really remember if I was excited or scared...maybe I was both, but before I knew it, Wally was at my side holding my hand and the blue cloth was erected to shield the view.
After pulling and pushing and some intense pressure (I swear the nurse was standing on top of me), he was out at 7:58 pm. I couldn't really see him from where I was laying, but I remember the tears rolling down my cheeks and my heart swelling as I heard that first little cry. He was finally here. They wrapped him up and gave him to Wally. As I turned to see him for the first time, I was struck with a bit of fear. I was afraid to see him and his cleft lip, but as my eyes fell upon him, I was instantly in love. He was beautiful.
A few seconds later, Wally left with the nurses to bring him to the special care nursery while I lay listening to the group of doctors who were working on closing me up and gossiping away. I remember thinking that this was real life Grey's Anatomy as they talked about prior patients and argued about whether or not boxing or the UFC was more intense. My opinion was boxing for the repeated hits to the head. My doctor agreed. :0)
Afterwards, they wheeled me back into my room and it was a few hours before I was feeling well enough to see him. About 3 in the morning, Wally sat me in a wheelchair and brought me to see my little angel for the first time. It was such a beautifully surreal moment for me. I wanted to hold him, but couldn't yet. He was hooked up to a lot of different machines and was under a dome to help him breath, but nonetheless, there he was, alive and well, and just perfect...
The following week was a bit crazy. Actually, it was beyond crazy! Christian had to be monitored for quite some time and was on IVs for a few days while my milk came in. Though I was released Tuesday morning, Christian had to stay in the special care nursery and so our challenge was returning to the hospital every 3 hours to feed him. I really wish we had counted the number of times we drove to and from the hospital; it had to have been at least 40 times! Anyhow, we spend our time at his little bedside, memorizing his tiny features and learning how to feed him. (The doctors wouldn't hear of releasing him until he was consistently eating enough for him to grow; feeding can be a great challenge with babies born with cleft lip and palate.) But...with prayers and blessings, he flourished and began to eat like a champ. It took some time for both of us to learn (For us, how to hold the special bottle and how much pressure to consistently give. For him, how to use his mouth in a way, besides sucking, that would allow for him to pull some of the milk out as well as breathing during the feeding). With practice and after a few days, he was taken off of the IV and monitors and became our little champion eater. I truly believe that it was the power of our Heavenly Father that allowed for such growth. The doctors and nurses there couldn't believe how well he was eating considering his clefts. On average, it takes about 3 weeks for a baby with cleft to get back up to birth weight, and Christian did it in a few days.
It was such a relief when the doctor finally indicated that he was well enough to be discharged and so finally, on Saturday, a week after he was born, we brought our lil' man home.
The following day was Mother's Day and what a perfect day it was. All I wanted was to be home with my baby and my hubby and that is exactly what I got. My moments of motherhood were just beginning and that day, I knew... that family and motherhood are the greatest gifts a woman can receive...
Just before the delivery...
Wally putting his garb on...
The first time I was able to see my lil' man. It was about 3 in the morning.
Our lil' man getting friendly with the machines in the special care nursery.
A new little family - By the way, I find it totally unfair that I look exhausted and Wally looks refreshed. Oh, the blights of womanhood... :0)
One of the first times he really opened his eyes.
Learning to feed! It cracks me up that the bottle is bigger than his head!
Finally going home! I'm pretty sure Wally and I secretly cursed every family we passed carrying a car seat (classic indicator of going home) during that week of traveling to and from the hospital. We were desperate to go home!!! Saturday and Sunday of that week could not have made us more happy! Wasn't he tiny? :0)

10 comments:
that was beautiful irene :). and i just love your little guy! he is so adorable just like i told you he would be!!! :D call me!
What a story! And what a sweet baby! You are amazing. :)
Thank you for sharing! He is absolutley perfect! I loved the pictures your mom sent of him, I hope your doing well- love of luv!
What a wonderful first mother's day! The pictures are great & you look terrific. Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to meet up with you all.
Oh this made me cry. It's all too familiar--- my babes were c-section too. And I don't think I ever wrote the experience down like you. I remember that moment where they bring the baby over the blue sheet for me to kiss. I remember each baby--- and their warm lips and tiny faces and my husbands teary face. Such precious memories. I'm glad you wrote it down.
And could you look any better? Lacy told me, but seriously. hot mama, Irene.
And Christian is BEAUtiful.
Irene, what eloquence! I love reading your thoughts and feel I know Christian just from what you write! Take care. Your tia
Ivonne
Oooh- I love the changes on your heading!
So cool, Irene! Love the pictures and the story. You rock!!
Irene,
Thank you for sharing this experience. Your emotions and feelings were so honest. I laughed and cried. He is a treasure, and your family looks beautiful. I appreciated the Grey's comment. I look forward to reading more about his growth and seeing pictures of that beautiful boy.
Love, Natalie
I am crying! The way you write and the pictures you used are so touching. I am still so happy for you guys and CANNOT wait to meet Christian in person.
Post a Comment