Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's Been Confirmed...

~ I sometimes use this blog as a journal. This particular entry is one of those times. It's personal and lengthy. Read on if you like.

Yesterday while at school, I received a phone call from Dr. Richards office. The nurse told me if I could get to the office by 4:00, he would work to squeeze me in for the level II ultrasound we needed. I immediately called Walmir and planned for him to pick me up around 3:30 so we could head to the Medical Plaza near Shands. I'll admit that I was a bit of a wreck as far as emotions go. I was hopeful, nervous, flustered, positive, and yet negative; to be honest, I don't really know which. Maybe a little bit of all of them. Anyway, when we were just about there, I realized that I forgot my purse (which is kind of necessary when going to a new doctor's office). I'm trying to call the office to see if they can get by with just Wally's insurance card feeling like a total idiot; meanwhile Walmir's getting more frustrated by the second because we can't find the stupid place. Needless to say, we finally get there, the nurse is a doll and it's not a problem that I don't have my id. They can work it out. Ok, good. Maybe this is a good sign.

We probably wait for a little over an hour and it's not until the office is closed that we're called in. Bless Dr. Richards' heart for staying late just to accommodate us. Anyhow, we have the ultrasound and Dr. Richards checks all the parts of the body. He tells us what he sees and mentions that everything looks good. Then he starts analyzing our little guy's face. He gets really quiet which usually isn't a good sign. I'm following as best as I can and eventually, even I can see the misshapen mouth. I try to stay calm. It could just be the lip. No big deal; one simple surgery.
Afterwards, Dr. Richards meets with us in the conference room and states that there is a definite hole in the palate and that it goes pretty far back. To which I say: "You mean, it's a really severe case." He smiles slightly and apologetically and says yes. He can also detect some irregularities with the gum and teeth line and also mentions that the lip cleft is on both sides, not just one. Awesome. Anything else? Well, often a cleft palate is usually an indicator of another genetic problem, such as some kind of syndrome. Although he didn't detect anything abnormal with the heart or brain, there is still a possibility that our little guy may have some other kind of issue. We just won't know until he's here. Oh, and since we have one child with a cleft palate, our chances are higher that we'll have another child with a cleft palate too. Wow, is that all?

There is nothing else that can be done now; the rest of the pregnancy will be the same and the only immediate problem will be seeing how the baby can feed once he's born. After that, it will be a series of doctors and surgeries for some time. Our next step now is to meet with the head of... to be honest I don't remember who she is, but she'll sit and discuss our options: what kind of procedures there are, where we might want to go to get them done, how many surgeries and how old our little guy will be when he gets them, etc., etc., etc. We thank Dr. Richards for staying late and head home. Surprisingly, I make it through the entire meeting without tears and even make it all the way home. I just kind of stared out the window while I vaguely overheard Walmir talking to his mom.

My emotions kind of range all over the place. I'll have moments when I'm pretty positive. This can be fixed; it'll be a rough couple of years, but it'll be ok. Then, the other side comes. How will we feed him? How much pain will he be in going into surgery when he's so small. How will people treat him? Will it be hard for people to look at him? Will they love him less? And what about me? Will I be strong enough? Will I be good enough for him? I've never been a mother before; can I be anything and everything that he needs?

It's kind of crazy how in just a weekend, everything changes. I can't help but feel like this whole process has been tainted in some way. Rather than just simple joy, excitement and anticipation for him to come, there's worry, anxiety, nervousness and a little fear of the unknown now mixed in. A whole new level and intensity of emotions hammering my thoughts and feelings, testing my strength and threatening to overwhelm me should I allow it.

I've been on my knees more in the last few days than I have been in a while. And in those oh so quiet moments, when it's just me and the Lord, I can't help but feel peace and comfort. I don't know what the future will bring, but I do know that I can rely on the Lord and for whatever purpose, he has gifted this little spirit to us to teach us and to remind us what life is truly about: humility, family, gratitude and unconditional love.

Walmir and I have already grown closer to one another in just the past few days and through the next few months and years to come, I can see, even through the pain, the uncertainties, and challenges, that there will be overwhelming love and happiness. My goal right now is to stay strong, be as positive as I can and prepare myself for my lil' guy's arrival. I know there will be times when I'm down and tears can broach at any time, but if together, Walmir and I rely on our Heavenly Father, family and friends, I think... I hope... I pray... that we'll be ready.

16 comments:

Amber Smith said...

Hey
I just heard the news about your baby. I know everything is going to be fine. I have a friend who was born with the same thing. Growing up together I never new there was a difference. I am praying for you guys
and your new little one. I know you will be awesome parents and the Lord will bless you through this
Love
amber
If you ever need a listening ear I will always be here

Amy Tobler said...

Jeff and I are so sorry that you have some challenges ahead with your little guy. You are both amazing people and everyone will love him, just as he is. He must be such a special spirit to be coming to your home with these challenges early in life. Our thoughts are prayers are with you guys!
Love,
Amy

Jlowryjr said...

Thanks for sharing this Irene. We love you guys and are praying for the three of you.

Lacy said...

Irene- what news! We love you so much- you are in our thoughts and prayers every day!

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog, it was so beautiful how you expressed what your going through, keep your chin up girl! You will be the perfect mother this little guy needs. He will be in an amazingly loving family who will accept him as he is. The strong are tested and challenged but through love and faith our Heavenly Father will help them overcome. We love you guys, your in our prayers.
Keep in touch-
Love,
Marne'

Linz said...

Hey girl!

You are going to be an amazing mom: everything and more than your son will need. If you need me, I am only a few classrooms or a phone call away.:)

Big hugs,
Linz

Emily King Family said...

Irene,

First I just wanted to say congrats, your having a boy!!! You are going to love having another boy around the house, he will by your little buddy. My mom told me about your news. Please remember there is always a positive that come from the negative. were praying for you. I have looked up to you my whole life, your amazing you will know what to do when the time comes. we love you.

T. Driaza said...

I couldn't help but tear up when reading this posting. Thank you for sharing. Continue to stay positive, and enjoy your pregnancy. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Love ya, Driaza's

Claudia said...

I'm really sorry to hear the news. I know that your little guy has been blessed to have parents like you and Walmir to watch over him and see to his every need. My friend's son was born with a cleft lip palate and has had the surgery to correct his lips. Although it was tough for them the Lord blessed them throughout the journey. Your beautiful growing family will be in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Hi guys, Chris and I just read the news. We can't imagine how hard it must be to face these challenges. We love you and we're here for you even if it's just to listen. You have a beautiful family and your little guy will be adored from the start. He may have a bumpier beginning than most, but docs can do amazing things and God can do even more amazing things. God will bless you through this. We are praying for you.

All our love - Natasha & Chris

LINDSAY said...

oh irene, my heart aches for you. you are an amazing woman and i do not doubt your strength whatever may come. i appreciate how open you are about your little guys coming challenge(s). i love you sweet girl and will keep you and your little one in my prayers. ~lindsay

Jenkins Clan said...

Irene,
I think you will be an amazing mother. I guess the best part of having a baby is knowing you are having a child of God. He is trusting you with this sweet spirit. I know you and Walmir will be the best parents for this baby. Our prayers are with you.

Love,
Steph

Kira said...

beautiful post! We are praying for you. You will be the perfect mom for him, because he was sent to you!!!

Erin said...

Irene, I just read this today! We are so sorry that this challenge is something you're facing. He is going to be so handsome nonetheless. I have a friend whose oldest daughter was born with cleft palate. Most of her challenges were in the beginning. I saw the baby as a newborn, and then again a year later after her surgery. I was so amazed at how beautiful she was after surgery. You couldn't even tell. So...all is going to be all right! If you want, I have a book about feeding infants with cleft palate that I can send you! Just send me your address...Love, Erin

Molly said...

Irene,
I just got an update on how things are going for you and wanted to read your posts to see how things were going. I want to tell you something(with tears in my eyes). The kind of love you will feel for him will overwhelm you and it will not matter at all what he looks like. I promise. Being a mom is intense and intimate in a way that nothing else is. You will absolutely be what he needs. Your questions are so normal. I ask those questions nearly every day about my own kids. Am I enough? Am I giving them what they need? So, it sounds like you are exactly where you should be. Please remember that although this is difficult the scriptures tell us there is opposition in all things. That means that for as hard as this is, it will be that greater of a joy and blessing. I love you guys and hope you know that Adam and I are thinking of you. By the way you look adorable pregnant! Be sure to post more pictures soon!

Ingrid said...

Irene, you are a beautiful soul and you are definitely strong enough to be your baby boy's mother. This little spirit is meant for you, as you and Walmir are meant for him. The challenges will come, but the blessings will abound, and joy will fill your lives. Remember, the Lord does not challenge us with more than we can handle. I certainly have my share! You are the strongest of strongest, and the perfect Mom for this blessed baby. He will be beautiful, and his facial challenges will give him great strength and character. He is already so loved!

And you are in good hands with Dr. Richards, he saved our baby's life during delivery. I am grateful for him each and every day as I look at my sweet baby and feel each moment with him is a gift.