Thursday, August 28, 2008

PostSecret


"Every Sunday I sneak off to an LDS church. My family has no idea where I am. I don't know who's approval means more to me; their's or the Lord's."

"When I get mad at my husband, I put boogers in his soup."

"Even though my son is three and healthy, I still steal magazines from my ob-gyn's office. I think she forced me into an emergency C-section because she was tired."

Have you guys ever heard of PostSecret? My students introduced it to me yesterday and I'm completely fascinated by it. It's an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard. From there, the director behind the project takes the secrets and then creats really beautiful books with them. He also posts new secrets every Sunday on his blog. (Oh, and don't worry, those who send in the postcards are aware that their secrets are on the blog or in books) The above quotes are just a few that I ran across on the blog. (Hey Lace! That last one was for you :0)). And the pic is one postcard I found in one of the books that I really like.
Anyway, I think I'm so fascinated by the concept simply because we all have secrets, however big or small. And reading through the secrets of others somehow, I think, connects us because maybe we find that our own secrets are not so out of the ordinary and maybe because we get a rare glimpse into the emotions, worries and fantasies of others. I admire the courage of some to display their deepest darkest feelings and the art for some is soooo creative! The secrets range from light and funny to lonely and sad and just as a heads up, some are very, very deep. If you're curious, go to Postsecret.blogspot.com and check it out. :0)
Oh, and Lacy, I think we could come up with a few to send in...remember what we talked about at Marco! :0)


9 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

Hmmmm.

Got my curiosity going.

I do have to say that I don't find anything courageous about anonymously confessing secrets. I'm sure it is helpful for some people, a voyeuristically fun for the rest, but the anonymity makes it too easy.

Lacy said...

Yes, but that is one secret I will never confess except to you and Chelsea... and Joe... and anyone else who REALLY REALLY wants to know! Interesting concept.

Kira said...

very cool! Now I am going to spend tons of time looking through that blog! :-)

Kira said...

I want to know Lacy's secret!!

Da Costa said...

Ok, I have to disagree with you Joe. I think that one of the most difficult things is to admit to a fault in yourself. It takes courage to admit that we have weaknesses and I think for a lot of these people, simple admitting it to themselves is the first step to healing. That, to me, is courageous, anonymous or not.

Jlowryjr said...

Okay,
I see what you're saying and I'll concede the point. Maybe it was just a semantic thing, mostly having to do with the use of courageous when I might use a different word.
This round to Irene!

cwitt said...

I LOVE POSTSECRETS!

and Lacy--dont' worry if i ever see your secret as one of the posts- i won't tell anyone ;)

Lisa said...

Irene, I thought you'd find it interesting that in our son Alex's AP English Language class he had an assignment to do a "post secret" last week. I'm not sure what the teacher is going to do with them but I thought that since you are an English teacher you might find it interesting. I'll try to remember to ask Alex what the teacher does with them and what the class thought. I know Alex thought it was kind of cool. His "post secret" was his webbed toes and he found a picture of a mother duck with her ducklings following behind. He had my husband take a picture of him kind of walking the same way and he attached himself to the end of the line of ducklings. It looked pretty cool.

Lisa said...

I got the assignment information to email to you. My email is:

lgleavitt@gmail.com or lgleavitt@san.rr.com