Saturday, January 8, 2011

Drowning in Tears...

Once again, it's been quite a while between posts. I think of writing often, the words just kind of swirling around in my head after a particularly funny moment, or a moment I just want to vent about. But, I just don't make it here. And though I love writing, it's simply because I'm exhausted. And not just physically, but mentally.
There's only so much crying a person's ears can be exposed to before her eardrums ring with each scream and her brain feels like it's trying to crawl out of her head. Only so much crying a person can listen to before insanity sets in. And honestly, I think I'm just about there.
I remember when Christian was weeks old and he would cry all the time, courtesy of a bit of colic and his cleft, and thinking it was not possible that a baby could cry more. But was I ever wrong. Damon has Christian beat, doctor's appointments, surgeries, and all. And I realize it's not his fault. And even though he has a perfect little nose and mouth, an adorably huge dimple on his right cheek and the coolest natural faux hawk you've ever seen, I just can't get past the crying. Because he cries, and cries, and cries, and cries, and cries. See, he's got colic and reflux. And not just a bit of fussiness here and there, but full on, "my stomach is killing me", "must scream at the top of my lungs for an hour after feedings and possibly throw up half of what I just ate", colic and reflux. He's already tested about 7 different formulas and is on his second prescription drug to help. Not to mention, he spent a week in the NICU for 14 rounds of antibiotics and went through two rounds of thrush. That coupled with Christian crying for a full month after we brought Damon home has me at my "listening to crying" limit. No more, please. I just can't take it...
But let me back up a bit. After Damon was born, they tested him for the Group Strep B bacteria. His elevated blood cultures indicated that he could have contracted the bacteria and since it can be deadly in infants, they don't take any chances. And so, lil' man D spent a week in the NICU receiving his rounds of antibiotics every morning and every night. And the poor guy, his veins kept collapsing turning the IV's bad, so they moved from one limb to the next until they came full circle. He had bruises everywhere. The entire situation felt like deja vu, really. Same nurses. Same schedule of pumping enough milk so that he'd have enough throughout the night. Same worry. Staying there for the exact same amount of time... You know, it's a good thing Wally has good insurance, because between our two kids, if we didn't have insurance, we'd be in over $175,000 worth of medical bill debt. Anyway, we finally brought Damon home and that's when things really started to be fun. Christian just cried. Poor man wasn't the only ray of sunshine in our lives. And he's such a sweet boy. Never once did he try to hit or do anything mean to Damon. On the contrary. He held his hands, gave him hugs and kisses. He still does, and actually, no one can make Damon smile quicker than Christian. But his way of telling us he was jealous was to just cry. And cry some more. And cry some more. It was almost a month to the day before he relaxed.
Anyway, things weren't much easier for me. My incision took much longer to heal and was extremely painful this time around. The doctor told me it was because I put my "already cut" uterus through the worst possible scenario. The stress of labor and then yet another cut. So that was fun. Then there was the bad reaction my digestive system had to the surgery. It just stopped working. 10 days later, I was reduced to chugging the leftover Castor oil and dispensing suppositories one after the other for desperate release. I was miserable. Then there was breastfeeding. I didn't have the opportunity to breastfeed Christian and so I was really excited for Damon. And it was such a sweet experience. Probably one of the sweetest I can remember having in my life. But my body just wouldn't cooperate. After a few weeks, I got blocked ducts, and rather than releasing after a few days like they did with Christian, they continued to get worse. And the pain? It was mind-blowing, easily equal to contractions. Damon would have to feed every 45 minutes because he couldn't pull enough milk out and then he'd have a fit when he wanted more and it just wouldn't let down. So, we'd have to top him off with formula. A few days after that, I had fever, chills and my entire body ached. I knew then that I had mastitis. And I had it bad. It wasn't long after that I made the decision to stop breastfeeding. And it was a hard one for me to make. Walmir wasn't supportive in the beginning and I kind of felt like a failure. But I prayed heavily about it and knew I made the right choice. I was depressed for a couple of weeks after I dried up, but...that's just how things go sometimes.
And so, it's been a long 10 weeks. And don't get me wrong, we've had some great moments, too. And family has been such a huge help. Especially over the holiday. But as the beginning of another semester starts and I think about Walmir being gone all the time and taking care of these two lil' boys on my own... I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if I was really cut out to be a mother, or at least, a good one. Sure, I have days when things go smoothly, but it's more often (at least lately) where I leave a screaming Damon in his crib and a screaming Christian knocking on my bedroom door, while I sit locked in my bathroom with my head on my knees, covering my ears, and trying to give myself just 10 peaceful breaths and allow a few tears to bail out before I get up and try again.

You know, in a way, it's almost like I'm not sure who I am anymore. I've realized that so much of who I thought I was came from successes I'd encountered through my education and profession and accomplishing goals I'd set for myself. But take that away and here I am, just a mom trying to make it through the hours upon hours of crying, failing to soothe over and over again. Failing to keep the house in order as it should be. Not having the time or energy to work on the things that I love or the things that made me feel like I was still accomplishing things, like photography or the piano or running. And I wonder...

No one tells you how hard being a parent is. No one really prepares you for how much of yourself you have to give up. And maybe things wouldn't be so hard if there wasn't so much crying. But there's just so. much. crying. So many tears. Between the three of us, sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in them.

And yet, at the same time, I know that Damon will eventually grow out of his colic. That Christian will grow up a little bit and that I'll figure out who I am without all the extra stuff. Just me, stripped down to the core. And I'm hoping that when I look back, these months of screaming, crying, tears and borderline insanity will be a time I look back on with fondness, simply because it was a time that made me become a better person....whoever that may be.

14 comments:

Happy said...

Oh girl, I hear you!! You are not alone, but instead, most of us are right there with you! A little while back, we went through a couple of tough months where I just felt like someone was constantly crying, or whining, or hanging on me and needed something. There were plenty of those moments where everyone was sent to their rooms and I was sitting in the bathroom with the door shut and the fan on so I couldn't hear them crying while I cried and regrouped. I kept thinking, "People say I'm going to miss this someday?!?! How could anyone miss this?!?" But the past month or so, things have been SO much better! And the past few days I have thought over and over, "I don't ever want things to change. I am going to miss this stage so much!" Things really do get better!!

Kim said...

Oh, my sweet, beautiful Irene! I am so, so sorry you have been dealing with these feelings and frustrations and pains. My heart hurts for you that you've been feeling this way. I feel like I can relate in a few ways in terms of feeling like your sense of identity comes from certain accomplishments or actions, and when they're stopped or clouded, it leaves you wondering who you are, really are. It is a lonely feeling, and I'm just so sorry you've been struggling with it. I look up to you in so many ways, and admire you for your seemingly endless talents (writing being one of them). You truly are a beautiful daughter of God, who loves you beyond measure. You are right, this difficult time will make you a stronger person, and you will be blessed for enduring. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you! I feel awful I haven't offered that sooner...especially bc I'm just right up the road! Love you "woman"! ;)

T. Driaza said...

Sometimes it is easier said then remembered, but try to hold strong to that faith that you are a daughter of God. You are from divinity, and that within you is truly a piece of our Heavenly Father. That knowledge that our Heavenly Father is within us can truly push us through the toughest times and reassure us that we can accomplish anything! There is no such thing as a perfect mother, so don't beat yourself up. You are amazing Irene! Really you are! Such strength you have. Those boys love you, and I'm pretty sure when they are older you will LOVE to hear them cry for you. Besitos.

Jlowryjr said...

I'll let the other moms provide the advice and encouragement. I wanted to comment that I thought this was really strong writing, nothing like being pushed to the limit to get the best out of a writer. Sorry you are deali with such a tough time,

Lacy said...

Irene- you are so amazing. I think you said it perfectly. You are being torn down by trial- reshaped and remolded into what the Savior wants you to be. It doesn't make sense because you were pretty amazing before but I know God has a plan and purpose for letting us go through and "endure well" our trials. I have to remind myself of that everyday. I can SO identify with your feelings. Just remember that you are looked up to by so many- you are succeeding. You have two kids under two years old! Keep taking those breaks in the bathroom. Call me and other friends more and ask for help once in a while! Usually it balances out and when one of us is hanging by a thread the other is cruising along doing just fine. Love you!

Lucinda said...

"This too shall pass". Love reading your blog, Irene. Your boys are beautiful. I know it's hard to believe now, but one day, you'll look back and long for these days. Praying for you.

Emily King Family said...

Irene I am so sorry, this just brings back memories of Mason. He was the King of COLIC, spitting up and had the most piercing scream. I felt like I was the only one in the world who could make him feel better, because I was his mom and knew best. Man was I wrong I wish I would of gotten more help. I thought I was the only one who knew how to hold him, or feed him or change him. I went crazy, I was like a zombie, staying up night after night with him. Well he eventually grew out of it (months and months down the road). My point is let him cry and get out of the house.

Jayson & Chelsey said...

Hi Irene- I'm not sure if you know or even remember me, but I met you at Lacy's baby shower last year...

I just wanted to tell you how great of a writer you are. I found your blog just last night, and I have enjoyed reading through all of your old posts.

This most recent post is so vulnerable and real. I admire your personal strength to not only endure this trial, but I also admire your willingness to share it. It's so raw. Even though I don't know you personally I still wanted to give you a hug, because I truly believe that this situation requires a strong woman- a strong mother. It's a testament to how great of a person, woman, and mother you are. I wish I could say that I would be able to do what you are doing, but I can't. I don't know that I could hold my composure as long as you have. It amazes me. You amaze me. And I admire you for your strength.

Thank you for sharing.

Alicia said...

Irene, thankyou, thank you for sharing your feelings. Thank you for being so real. You are doing it girl! You are getting up each and day and hearing the crying, but you are also nurturing those beautiful boys. YOUR BOYS. The boys that the Lord KNEW where suppose to have you as there mommy. The talented photographer, the amazing runner! The gifted writer. You are still and will always be that person. I'm amazed at you! I read your posts and you are a super woman.... out running right after you have a baby. Woman, you ARE doing this. Cry alone with them, those days are o.k. if you weren't having them we would wonder what was up. I'm sorry that you are having to go thru this "trial" part of being a mother. But I know YOU are the best mom ever, you are Damon and Christian's mom and that makes you perfect for this. I will call you... let me come take Christian... please...... Call on your friends. This is a time and season let us be part of this season,,, you don't have to do it alone. You are still YOU... just with some added adventures. I love you girl. You can do this! I'm cheering you on.

Anonymous said...

Irene-I am so thankful that I get to know you and read this blog post. Thank you so much for sharing the reality of motherhood. I feel like so many blogs out there can make a mother or myself feel that I am doing everything wrong. Then I read this and I feel that someone I admire and love so much struggles just like me...but still loves her children and being a mother. It also brings me so much comfort to know that I am not the only one who locks myself in a room for maybe 2min, but it seemed like long enough to finish out my day. Although we rarely see each other or talk, I love and admire you so much. I look forward to hearing more about your journey with these two most beautiful boys.

Craig and Cassie said...

And now...I'm crying. :) Seriously, and I only have one! There are so many days that I'm like "how did I get here?!" And then a cute little boys smile makes it all better. Also, I think when people tell you that it's hard to be a mom and raise children blah blah blah- they should be a little more specific. Maybe use words like "insanity", "emotional breakdown", "depression", "exhaustion beyond comprehension". Just something to give us a little perspective.
We miss you guys!

Melanie said...

Wow! What a ride you are having! Wish I could come take a turn for you. Rebecca was our screamer. If I knew how I would post a video for you--of her screaming/crying. At night sometimes she wouldn't sleep and we had to take turns to survive the night of screaming/crying. Sixteen years later we find out she does have esophagus issues. Hang in there! Love you.

Claudia said...

Irene I seriously look up to. You are not invicincible although I could have sworn you were. Yes- I admired your accomplishments but when you became a mom I thought, now she is the luckiest girl!! I love that you are being reshaped and molded into an even stronger person. I'm dealing with a few issues myself and I am so grateful that you shared this with us. I draw strength from those around me including you!
love ya girl!

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing. I love reading blogs about real people, being real. Make sense? As a Mom to 4 little ones (my first were twins) it is amazing how we can look back after much time has passed and think, "that wasn't too bad". I hope in the near future there isnt as much crying for you or your boys.