Friday, September 4, 2009

Canada

Want to know how you can tell it's been a fantastic vacation? You're like a dead man walking when you get back (since you've slept maybe 10 hours the entire week), you've gained about five pounds (from eating waaaaay to much ice cream, salt and vinegar chips and Canadian chocolate bars), and you whole-heartedly miss the people you spent time with. I can't even tell you how amazing it was to spend time with two of our bestest friends in the world, hiking, skiing, laughing, eating; it was just so freakin' awesome! :0) There's just so much to tell, but I'll limit it to the collages I've got here.


First off, Canada is BEAUTIFUL!!! We spent most of our time at the Palmer House in Waterton, this small town about 2 hours from Calgary, and it was just breathtaking. Something about the majesty of the mountains just moves me and it was often Justin caught me in la la land, completely enveloped in my surroundings. Just look...





Glorious, isn't it? One morning, when I was out for a run, I stopped at the top of this hill which overlooks Upper Waterton Lake and was just completely in awe. It was just so beautiful!!! Not enough to make me trade it in for the beach... but pretty dang close! :0) Is there a place in the world that has them both? I think I'd like to move there!

Anyway, while in Waterton, we went water skiing. And let me tell you, I almost DIED the water was so cold! Even in my wetsuit, I got the wind knocked out of me every time I hit the water. It was seriously THAT cold. Props to me and Kira for getting in!!! It was so worth it. :0)
Speaking of cold water, this lake was nothing compared to hiking and rock sliding in Red Rock Canyon. I didn't bring my camera, so the only picture I have is in the first collage, but let me just say, I couldn't feel my legs for the first half hour; they were completely numb. It was awesome though. The rocks are mostly smooth with freezing cold water flowing down them, and you just sit and let the water take you down. It was such a blast. Notice that I say mostly smooth, though. While heading down one of the slides, I banged into a jagged edge. Not on a cheek, mind you. That would of been fine; plenty of padding there. Nope, instead it hit my freakin' crack! No joke; totally bruised my tailbone. As we speak, I am sitting awkwardly leaning to one side to avoid any pressure which sends serous pain up my butt!
Another memorable moment from this trip: hiking with Christian up to the top of the rock slide and realizing there's no way back but down the water slide. Yup, poor little Christian had to go down the slide, in the freezing cold water, with no wetsuit. Poor thing. He was so mad!!! Don't worry, though. Wally did a good job of keeping him mostly our of the water and he warmed up pretty quick!

We also tackled a few hikes including Bears Hump at night (which was awesome) and this 7 mile one to Wall Lake. Pics below. I won't say much since you've got the pics, but it was glorious! No need to worry about bears since there was at least one child crying at all times :0). Oh, and the pic with me and Kira up top, I pumped right there! Motherhood stops for nothing and I must say, I don't think anyone has pumped in so glorious a place before (I'm just a teensy bit proud of myself) :0) And yes, that is Wally and Justin peeing on the border into British Columbia. :0)

Having three babies along for the ride made the trip more exciting and definitely more noisy, but it was so much fun having them along with us. Little Evan is so freakin' cute and baby Landon and Christian got to be stroller buddies the entire week. They were all super troopers and made the vacay so much more fun.

The last Saturday we were there, we were able to be a part of the first Family Fun Walk & Roll, a walk to raise money in support of the children with SMA in Calgary. It was quite a success and such a sweet moment for me to witness. These little ones are so precious. The collage below is more for Kira and Justin and of course, little Evan.

Well, there's so much more I could write about, so many more pictures I could post, but I'll stop here. All in all, it was so wonderful being there. Thank you Justin and Kira. We love you guys so much (you really have no idea) and canNOT wait to see you again. Your family is beautiful and I'm so blessed to have been in your company those 10 days. I'm in awe of your strength and love the happiness your family shares...Thank you for being a part of our lives...


Ok, ok, one more picture. Just because I love it. :0)


6 comments:

Linz said...

I was so excited to see all of your pics and blurbs about Canada. You are totally right: I would love going to a place like that for vacation. It sounds awesome!! Glad you had a terrific time. You and your pumping stories crack me up. You deserve an award for that for sure. And, I definitely think you should consider working on some creative nonfiction. . . . The candid nature of your writing style would lend itself well to the genre.

Lacy said...

Great post- and beautiful pictures! We are glad you had so much fun!

Kira said...

YEAH!!!!!

T. Driaza said...

Looks like a fun, beautiful trip with great friends! Glad you all are well! Have fun this football season. I'm totally going to be jealous if you post game pics on here!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures! Canada looks beautiful! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Alicia said...

Loved the post.. looks like you guys had a blast. Fun pics & great memories!